It's almost that wonderful time of year - reindeer are coming to a library near you! All four branches of the Bay County Library System will be visited by our furry friends, and we'd love to have you and your family join us! To help get you ready, here are some fantastic reindeer facts:
- Reindeer and caribou are actually the same species! Generally, reindeer are from Europe and Asia, while caribou are in North America.
- Female reindeer grow antlers! They're the only members of the deer family where both males and females have antlers.
- Reindeer can weigh up to 700 lbs! Considering their favorite food is moss and lichen, that's a lot of plants to eat!
- Reindeer are most famously associated with Christmas, after poet Clement Moore featured them in his 1823 poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas," better known as "The Night Before Christmas."
- Caribou make one of the largest large-mammal migrations in the world - and they do it fast! They can run up to 50 mph, swim up to 6.2 mph, and jog 25 mph for hours at a time. Baby reindeer can run as fast as an Olympic sprinter within a couple hours of being born!
Now that you're all brushed up on reindeer, come see them in person! You have four chances to get up close and personal to these incredible animals.
- Tuesday, December 3 from 5-7pm at the Auburn Area Branch Library, come make crafts (including your own antlers!). Feel free to park across the street at the bank and come from there.
- Wednesday, December 4 from 5-7pm at the Pinconning Branch Library, make an ornament craft, get candy canes, and then meander over to the township's celebrations happening at City Hall at the same time.
- Tuesday, December 10 from 5-7pm, Wirt Library will have crafts and games, plus lots of opportunities for library fun!
- Thursday, December 12 from 5-7pm at the Sage Branch Library, warm up with hot chocolate and cookies provided by Frankenmuth Credit Union at the warming station, then step inside to make crafts and get your face painted.
These events are for all ages, no registration required, and you are welcome to take pictures to relive the memories for years to come. Each event will be full of wonder and fun, and we can't wait to see all of you!